Search This Blog

Wednesday 11 June 2014

Oh! the time that is past - Anon



Oh! the time that is past
When she held me so fast,
And declared that her honour no longer could last:
No light but her languishing eyes did appear,
To prevent all excuses of blushing and fear.

      When she sighed and unlaced
      With such trembling and haste,
As if she had longed to be closer embraced!
My lips the sweet pleasure of kisses enjoyed,
While my hands were in search of hid treasure employed.

       With my heart all on fire
       In the flames of desire,
I boldly pursued what she seemed to require:
She cried: Oh for pity's sake! change you ill mind:
Pray, Amyntas, be civil, or I'll be unkind.

         All your bliss you destroy
         Like a naked young boy.
Who fears the kind river he came to enjoy....
Let's in, my dear Cloris! I'll save thee from harm,
 And make the cold element pleasant and warm.

         Dear Amyntas! she cries;
         The she casts down her eyes,
And with kisses consents what she faintly denies:
Too sure of my conquest, I purpose to stay
Till her freer consent did more sweeten the prey.  

          But too late I begun:
          For her passion was done:
Now, Amyntas, she cries, I will never be won:
They tears and thy courtship no pity can move;
Thou hast slighted the critical minute of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment