Search This Blog

Thursday 12 June 2014

A Considered Reply To A Child - Jonathan Price



'I love you,' you said between two mouthfuls of pudding.
But not funny; I didn't want to laugh at all.
Rolling three years' experience in a ball,
You nudged it friendlily across the table.

A Stranger, almost, I was flattered - no kidding.
It's not every day I hear a thing like that; 
And when I do my answer's never pat.
I'm about nine times your age, ten time less able

To say - what you said; incapable of unloading
Plonk at somone's fee, like a box of bricks,
A declaration. When I try, it sticks
Like fish-bones in my throat; my eyes tingle.

What's called 'passion', you'll learn, may become 'overriding'.
But not in me it doesn't: I'm that smart,
I can give everything and keep my heart.
Kisses are kisses. No need for souls to mingle.

Bed's be, what's more, and you'd say it's meant for sleeping;
And, believe me, you'd be absolutely right.
With luck you'll never lie awake all night,
Someone beside you (rather like 'crying') weeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment